Job Hunting in Spain

 The traditional routes of newspapers, Internet and employment agencies are used less frequently in Spain than other countries. Many jobs are got on the basis of relationships and contacts.  Quite often vacant positions not being advertised publicly, but are instead filled by people who have contacts within the company. Our advice is to take advantage of every possible contact that you have from friends, colleagues, classmates, even your landlord. Even the most casual acquaintances can sometimes point you towards a potential job lead. Persistence and confidence are vital ingredients to a successful job search.

As always, a solid, well-formatted CV (curriculum vitae/résumé) is essential. Be careful though as the typical format of a Spanish CV may differ dramatically from your country. For instance, education tends to be emphasized first and this includes lists of additional work-related classes/seminars. CV cover letters in Spain have their own particular format; they are generally short, to the point and the written in a very formal language.
Once you start sending out CVs to companies, don’t sit back and wait for companies to call you. Spanish companies are notorious for not responding to letters. Be proactive and follow up with phone calls. If somebody at the company promises to call you back and fails to do so, do not be afraid to call him/her again. It is important to be persistent.

Work permits

When and how to apply for them.  EU citizens are not required to have work permits in order to hold a job in Spain. On the other hand, all non-EU nationals need both a work and a residency permit, which can be applied for at the same time. The type of permit required depends on the type of activity that you plan on undertaking. The following permits are the primary ones issued in Spain: Type B – For those with a job offer from a company for a determined activity and geographic area. Later on, you can apply for a permit to carry out any activity in the whole country (Type B or C). Type A – Issued for limited time jobs such as building or plant construction, equipment installation, etc. Type T – Issued for short-term service contracts such as a consultant. Type D – For those who want to set up their own business. Issued to perform a specific activity in a determined area of the country. Upon renewal, this permit can be extended to any business in any part of the country.

For a more detailed explanation of the paperwork necessary to obtain a work permit, we suggest contacting the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country. Also, unless you really enjoy the challenge of legal paperwork, we would recommend you to have a legal advisor assist you in the application procedure. The approval process itself takes anywhere from 2-6 months, so be ready for a long wait.

Additional information